Sunday, January 29, 2017

Square Fish


If you haven't noticed, Toronto's sushi scene is stepping up it's game in the past couple of years. We've already had a number of delicious sushi spots, but things are getting more interesting now! Square Fish is one of the new sushi spots in town serving up something other than the regular nigiri or makis that you typically would order.


Located on Queen West, Square Fish is a quick service restaurant, with only a couple tables inside. They serve a number of items including sushi squares and sushi burritos. But what I love about this place is that besides their sushi squares and burritos being absolutely delicious, they have sushi DONUTS. Yup, I said it. A sushi donut, or a doshi.

What is a doshi?

Well, let me break it down for you. The bottom layer is a fried rice cake stuffed with cheese, and the top is a ring of sushi rice with your choice of sashimi (salmon, shrimp, tuna, or veggie). In between the two, you'll find a delicious combination of seaweed salad (best), edamame, corn, lettuce, sauce, and your choice of sashimi. It is absolutely delish, and you will be surprised as to how filling it is!



I highly recommend you give it a try. It's quite messy to eat (especially if you don't like eating with your hands like me), but Square Fish recommends that you wrap it up with the paper and eat it like a burger. For me, I just took it apart and ate it piece by piece with my fork haha. Both ways work!



The other item that I love and want to talk about are the sushi squares. We ordered the signature set, which includes a little bit of everything they offer. You get salmon, veggie, california roll, tuna, shrimp, random, etc. Haha, I don't actually remember exactly what is what, but I remember loving the salmon, cucumber and avocado, & the square with beets on it! The combo is definitely very interesting, and worth a try.


I found that despite Square Fish catering towards take out (they only have about 4 seats for dine-in customers), the quality of their ingredients is on par with a restaurant. In the 1.5 hours I was eating there, I saw 2 or 3 people just walk in because they were interested to see what Square Fish was and what they had to offer. I would suggest to go visit them and try the doshi and sushi squares before they get too popular with huge lines!

On another note, the people at Square Fish are absolutely lovely! To celebrate my birthday, they partnered with me and provided me with sushi squares to create the birthday cake of my dreams. HOW AMAZING IS THIS SUSHI CAKE?! Nothing else will ever compare. Thanks Square Fish!



(Happy 25th birthday to me, hehe)
Share:
© Sincerely, KN | Toronto Food & Lifestyle Blog | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig