Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Why You Should Spend Thursdays at Blowfish



Spending my Thursdays at Blowfish Restaurant from now on - at least for the next thirteen Thursdays.
-
Last Thursday, I visited Blowfish Restaurant (@blowfishresto) for the second time since it re-opened earlier this summer. Last time, I went in for a tasting of their regular menu. But this time, I was here for their #ThirteenThursdays. Blowfish's Thirteen Thursdays is a program that they are running every Thursday (lol duh), where you are able to order from their snack menu and enjoy some of their famous cocktails after work. You can also order a cocktail flight with food pairings! I am always on the lookout for a spot to wind down after a long day of work, so I was very excited to hear about this program at Blowfish!



In order to write this review for you guys, I obviously had to try every single thing on their snack menu. Honestly, it's a chore sometimes - haha, just kidding - but NOT really. We actually did order the entire menu in order to taste it all! Here is a list of all the items that are served on the snack menu, my thoughts on some of them with a * to signify my recommend faves:

Edamame (with sea salt) - can't go wrong with these little green beans/peas!
Salmon Tartare (crispy shiso, masago, ikura, negi, and sesame seeds)
Spicy Rock Shrimp* (tempura style shrimp tossed in a hot garlic kewpie sauce) - my favourite dish of the night, hands down! I'm sure everyone else that as there can also agree with me on that. It looks very saucy, but it worked so well in coating the jumbo, juicy shrimp!
Wagyu Gyoza (pan-seared dumpling stuffed with wagyu, black fungus, ginger, preserved spicy vegetables) - These little pot stickers (haha I just said that in my last post as well) were so good! I really liked how the exterior of the gyoza is hard as it is fried.
Spring Roll (crispy crab, shrimp, and scallop spring roll with lemon and tamari kewpie dips)
Steamed Dumpling* (lotus-steamed lobster & shrimp dumpling with a spicy tobanjan sauce) - These little guys were another one of my faves. I must have had 4 of them just by myself, but I'm blaming it on the fact that you can eat each dumpling in 1 bite. The sauce that the dumplings sat in on the spoon was also a deciding factor.
Spicy Tuna (on a crispy sushi rectangle topped with a jalapeno) - these rectangles were rice cakes, but I found it to have too much rice and would fill me up. I stayed away from these just for that main reason.
• Sweet Potato Tempura - I typically don't like tempura since it's a bit too oily for my liking, but I did really enjoy the spicy sauce on top.
Mochiko Crusted Chicken* (with a spicy tobanjan sauce) - The chicken was sooo tender! I really enjoyed these, but make sure you eat them while they are hot or else it gets pretty hard to bite when it's cold.




As mentioned above, Blowfish also offers a cocktail flight with food pairings. The cocktails are crafted by Blowfish's award-winning bartender, Nishan Nepulangoda. I would recommend getting this if you wanted to try the 4 signature cocktails offered + a sample of the snacks they have. Here you have samples of the four cocktails & the suggested food pairing:

Cucumber Watermelon Sour, Caribou Crossing (my fave), Negroni, and Ginger Grapefruit Margarita, paired with edamame, salmon tartare, spicy tuna on crispy rice, and sweet corn tempura.



This program started on September 29th, and will continue for 13 weeks (last Thursday being December 22nd). There are only 9 Thursdays left until this after work delight program is over, so be sure to visit Blowfish on a Thursday before it ends!

Blowfish Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato
Share:
© Sincerely, KN | Toronto Food & Lifestyle Blog | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig