Sunday, January 12, 2014

Recipe: Sweet Potato Gnocchi, Mushrooms and Butter Sauce

So since I am unbelievably sore from snowboarding yesterday, let's ring in the new year with a little recipe I've been meaning to upload:
Sweet Potato Gnocchi
- - -
I was browsing Pinterest one late night while I was quite hungry (not a good idea)
and decided that I was capable of being a chef!
I had an abundance of mushrooms, onions, butter, and sweet potatoes in my fridge.
So naturally, I thought of making a difficult pasta LOL

I read a couple recipes here and there but I didn't follow one specifically since I was basically playing around with my food. I didn't know it would actually end up so delicious! :)
- - -
Ingredients for the gnocchi:
1 sweet potato (I used 2 and do not recommend it unless you're feeding like 6 people LOL I had a lot leftover)
1 egg, room temperature
1 tsp of salt
2 cups of all-purpose flour (approximately*)

1. So FIRST, you need to boil, peel, and cut your sweet potatoes.
And no, it is not as easy as it seems in Cooking Mama, if you've played that game.
But keep in mind it was my first time ever peeling a potato so it was unnecessary difficult for me.
Don't forget to let the potato cool before peeling it or you'll burn your hands!

2. After that, you'll need mash it really well. And by really well, I mean it needs to be in puréed form. It might take a while but you can always steal a couple bites while you're at it (mmm, mashed sweet potatoes!)

3.  Once you have all your ingredients ready, mix everything together while slowly adding the flour 1/4 cup at a time. Sorry but you're going to have to use your hands for this one! At first, it's going to feel really gross as it gets in your nails and as flour is literally everywhere. It gets better, I promise! It'll going to become a soft sticky dough.
From this, to that :)

4. Now it's time to make the gnocchi! Flour your surface and your hands and grab a golf ball sized chunk from the large doughball and start rolling it out into a log. At first, it'll seem kind of difficult but just use your wrist to roll it and be gentle to make sure it's even (unlike my photo below lol).

5. Line a pan with parchment paper (if you are planning to eat it right away, you don't need to do this step) and dust it with a little flour. This will help you when you finish cutting your gnocchi if you are planning to freeze some for later.

6. With a sharp knife, cut each log diagonally into little bite-sized pieces of sweet potato goodness.
And there you have it :)
- - -
Now we're halfway there!!
Next step is the actual cooking of it :)

Ingredients you will need:
1/4 cup of butter
1 onion
half a box of mushrooms

1. In a pot, boil the salted water and only when it is bubbling like crazy, add your gnocchi. Keep stirring it so it doesn't sink and stick to the bottom until it starts floating to the top. I'd say around 4 minutes. When it floats, take it out of the water so it doesn't overcook!

2. In a pan, melt half of the butter and cook your onions first until they start caramelizing. Then add your mushrooms. Once that's all done, put the onions and mushrooms into a separate plate but leave the residue from the butter.

3. Now for the main dish. Melt the remaining butter in the same pan over medium heat. Keep swirling it around until the butter turns a little brown and you can smell the rich buttery aroma (mmmm). Make sure your butter doesn't burn!

4. Add your cooked gnocchi and keep tossing it in the buttery sauce until it turns a little dark in color. I'd say about 3 minutes or so.

5. When it's done, add everything into a plate and here you go!
:D
I can't say I'm more proud of my finished product :)

This only took me like 4 hours LOL but that's only because I spent a good 2 hours prepping the potatoes... Other than that, everything was actually fun. Playing with flour and kneading the dough was my favorite part. And I did make enough gnocchi to last me 2 weeks hahah

Hope you enjoyed this recipe!

Happy Sunday, xx
Share:
© Sincerely, KN | Toronto Food & Lifestyle Blog | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig